North Idaho has some of the best off-road ATV and motorbike riding opportunities in the country, with over 95% of those located on National Forest or public land. There are nearly 4,000 miles of trails/roads to ride in the Idaho Panhandle, where the number of registered ATVs is approximately 13,000. The US Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management, and Idaho State Parks and Recreation provide travel plan maps that identify open and closed roads and trails, closure dates, and other details to assist in planning a ride.
There are different ATV requirements depending upon where you chose to ride:
- Unpaved Federal or State public lands: Idaho State ORV (off road vehicle) sticker, proof of insurance and valid driver’s license. All riders under 18 must wear a helmet.Paved roads: Idaho State ORV (off road vehicle) sticker, proof of insurance, valid driver’s license, Dept. of Motor Vehicles registration, license plate, horn, brake light, and a mirror. All riders under 18 must wear a helmet.
- During fire season, May 10 – Oct. 20: All motorcycles and ATV’s must have a Forest Service approved spark arrestor, carry a serviceable shovel and one-gallon bucket (your helmet will suffice).
There are private companies such as Inland Paper (Rathdrum/Twin Lakes/Hauser area), and Potlatch Corp (Potlatch area) that allow you to purchase private permits to ride on their land. www.iepco.com/recreation.htm or recreation.potlatchcorp.com/id/
There are several local family oriented ATV groups that emphasize safety, trail maintenance, and have partnerships with governmental agencies.
In the Coeur d’Alene area, ATVs and Quads are available for rent through Adventure Sport Rentals. Choose guided or unguided tours where you can rent an ATV for half a day or several days at a time.
North Idaho also has a race track, State Line Speedway in Post Falls, with seasonal car racing and a racing school.
If you own or love classic cars and hot rods, check out our Event Calendar. Or maybe you are looking for a club to join:
- Asphalt Angels – P.O. Box 1450, Priest River, 83856, Chris, (208) 290-3274
- Injectors Car Club - Sandpoint, 83864, Gary (208)263-9780
- North Idaho Classics - Coeur d’Alene/Post Falls, Cliff (509)443-2209
- Rod Benders - Bonners Ferry, Denise Crichton (208) 267-7697
- Silver Valley Kar Klub - Osburn, Wendell Kuntz (208) 753-3721
- St. Joe Valley Classics – Pres. Ron Cook, Fernwood (208) 245-4420
- St. Joe Valley Car Club – Box 562, St. Maries, 83861, (208)659-0906